Thursday, September 2, 2021

Parasha Nitzavim








Luke 22:42 "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."

The greatest barrier to our prayers being answered is that we do not pray as Yeshua prayed. Yeshua always prayed in reverent and complete submission to the Father. He never imposed His will on Him but always prayed totally renouncing His will in favor of His Father's will. Many of us have developed the habit of praying by asking God for what is on our hearts, we pray for needs, healings, successes, or other things not ever taking into consideration if what we are praying for is in the will of God for us. This attitude of prayer is a carryover of our old nature as Paul tells us:

Ephesians 4:22-24 "You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."

Our old self was selfish and arrogant, we were used to asking for and receiving what we wanted. If we went to the boss and asked for a raise but were refused, we would either look for a new better paying job or quit. The boss's will was of no interest to us. But Paul is telling us that we have to put off that old self and put on the new self the one we received when we were saved. Our old self was not in reverent submission to God. Our new self should reflect the image of Yeshua, therefore, like Yeshua we are to be in reverent and complete submission to the Father's will.

Isaiah 55:9 "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts."

God sees far beyond what we see, it is impossible for us to understand what God's purposes are in any particular situation. When we pray in our old rebellious nature, we may be praying contrary to God's will, no matter what it is we are praying for (needs, healings, successes etc.). Therefore, by saying, "Your will and not my will be done," we are putting off the old selfish arrogant self and putting on the new reverent, submissive self so God will hear our prayers and answer them.

Hi Ellen here…I remember four plus years ago when my husband was undergoing treatment and he had to live at the hospital from Sunday until Thursday, wow really rough time but we got through it. I was in a very sorrowful state one day and I had to do all the banking and other errands for our household that we always did together. Standing there in the bank and trying to smile while tears were welling up in my eyes I prayed, Abba please send me someone who will be like minded, I need an encouraging face. Well, I walked out of the bank and a man approached me with a tract, a brochure, proclaiming the love of Yeshua. I almost hugged him with tears of joy thanking Abba for hearing my prayer. I can embellish this five minute in my life but I think we got the picture. God has created a community of like minded believers in our lives if we would only reach out to Him. When we are shopping or at a restaurant do we look around to see the prettiest girl or how she is dressed? When we are driving do we notice the nicest car or SUV? Try to see outside the box and ask Abba to give us the ability to see what He sees. Maybe He will show us someone in need of help, or a prayer, maybe an offering of food…God is able even if we aren't…remember try to see with our Father's eyes.

Visit our blog for more teaching and to view previous Torah commentaries:


Yours in Messiah Yeshua; our Lord, our God, our soon coming King;

Rabbi Jack & Ellen


No comments:

Post a Comment