Friday, October 22, 2021

Parasha Vayera


From The Rabbi's Desk

As of late Ellen and I have been taking nightly walks around our neighborhood. The other day while walking I tripped on uneven sidewalk pavers, not once but several times. I am in the habit of looking forward when I walk so Ellen has to remind me to look down and watch where I am walking, not only because of uneven pavers but also so I do not step in dog poop.

Today, as I was contemplating what to write I was reminded of my stumbling walk and what Ellen said to me. It made me think; our walk as Believers in Messiah Yeshua is also riddled with hazards, all kinds of obstacles that can trip us up, all kinds of unpleasant things that we can step into. That is why we are warned so often in Scripture by the Apostles to: "Walk in the newness of life" (Romans 6:4); "Walk worthy of the calling" (Ephesians 4:1). The Apostle Peter says, referring to our walk and calling: "For if you do these things, you will never stumble, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior Messiah Yeshua." (2 Peter1:10-11).

However, it is not only how we walk but where we walk that is also important. With what I hear on the nightly news, I would not dream of walking on a dark street in downtown Chicago.

1 John 1:5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. 6) If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth.

Darkness is sin, the light is truth. Therefore, we are not to walk in darkness; our walk must stick to areas of light and truth. If we do we will avoid the obstacles and hazards of life and we will not stumble into darkness.

Hi Ellen here…STOP trying to figure things out! If we truly have our eyes on the Lord, we will feel foolish if we do not STOP trying to figure things out because He already has…easier said than done, right? I am writing this short note not to you out there but to myself. I am overly analytical and sometimes too controlling but today as I was making cookies the word that came into my mind was worse than all the above. I'm sure you are on the edge of your seats to discover the word…well sit back and hear the word…it is PRIDE! I need to give up my pride every moment of every day. It is pride that motivates us to be analytical and controlling and more…do you have to be right? Do you have to have the answer? Is all peace and joy out the window when you cannot figure things out? Our God Most High is a mysterious God but He wants it that way so we depend on Him and not ourselves. Let us pray today together for our Abba in heaven to deliver us from the pride in our lives and purpose to rely on Him for all the answers.

Visit our blog for more teaching and to view previous Torah commentaries:

Yours in Messiah Yeshua; our Lord, our God, our soon coming King;

Rabbi Jack & Ellen


Watch sermon on YouTube!

Read Parasha


Listen to Parasha



No comments:

Post a Comment