Friday, August 13, 2021

Parasha Shoftim & Sermon "That He May Dwell - Part 3"


FROM THE RABBI'S DESK

Romans 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.

Paul is telling us here that in order for us to have faith we have to hear the Word of God. How do we hear God's Word when we read it?

The Word of God has only two ways of entering us; through our eyes or through our ears. So how do we hear when we read and see it, what does Peter mean when he says; "faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God?" Does he mean we need to listen to the Bible rather than read it? No, that is not what Paul means! We hear the Word of God as we read when the Holy Spirit imparts the Word into our hearts. It is the Holy Spirit that speaks God's truth into us when we see and read it, that is what Paul is talking about here. That is why when an unbeliever reads the Bible they cannot make sense of it, they do not have the Holy Spirit so they cannot discern the Word through hearing it by way of the Holy Spirit.

Psalm 119:130 The entrance of Your Words gives light; It gives understanding to the simple.

So much emphasis is placed on education today. Parents want their children to get college and university educations so they can become successful in life. In fact, in order to be in politics today you need to either be a lawyer or have a degree in political science, but education alone does not give one wisdom. We need only to look at the state of the world today, which is being run by supposedly educated people, to recognize that. No amount of secular education can give wisdom. Education without the understanding of God, without God's light, without the imparted wisdom of the Holy Spirit is just knowledge. President Theodor Roosvelt said; "An uneducated thief will steal a railroad car; educate that thief and he will steal the railroad."

Most of Yeshua's apostles were uneducated fishermen, but when the Word of God entered them through hearing by the Holy Spirit, they gained great light which imparted wisdom to these simple men and enabled them to impact the whole world for the Messiah Yeshua.

Hi Ellen here…Are you afraid? I'm afraid. Yes, we all think that being born again will take all these twisted feelings away but at the end of the day we are still flesh and blood and have free wills. It would be so nice not to feel any of those emotions but we are not robots. As the world is with its messy politics, pandemics and crime…it is difficult not to sometimes be afraid. Aging is creeping in and our bodies are more fragile than they used to be. Yes, I chant all the same things you are probably thinking right now like: "perfect love casts out all fear…we have not been given a spirit of fear but of power…fear not." I AM with you but sometimes we just get that gripping feeling in the pit of our stomachs and it hurts. Just yesterday I felt the Holy Spirit telling me to tell us all that I am afraid, "oy, I thought, do I really want to expose myself publicly? So, I looked for confirmation. I opened my phone to see what the "Verse of the Day" was, as I do each morning, and it gave me Psalms 56.3, "When I am afraid, I put my trust and faith in You." Ha, not enough Lord, then my very good friend who always seems ready for anything posts, "Dear God remove any worry, fear, stress, doubt in our hearts"…so okay Lord here goes…sometimes I am afraid…

Visit our blog for more teaching and to view previous Torah commentaries:


Yours in Messiah Yeshua; our Lord, our God, our soon coming King;

Rabbi Jack & Ellen

Read Parasha

Listen to Parasha

Listen to "That He May Dwell - Part 3"


No comments:

Post a Comment